Dan Barrett is the creator and sysop of Gentle Giant Home Page.
I've been a progressive rock fan for many years but, believe it or not, didn't hear of Gentle Giant until 1987, when a good friend introduced me to The Power and the Glory. And... I didn't like it! But somehow, those complex compositions ingrained themselves on my brain, and today that album is my favorite in all of rock music.
I created the GG Home Page while in graduate school for computer science. These days, I work in the software industry. I've also worked in the financial and e-commerce industries and done freelance web design.
I'm a musician too, playing keyboards, vocals, didgeridoo, a little Chapman Stick, and most recently, bass guitar.
You can email me at:
I've written a number of books in the computer field, if you're interested.
- Linux Pocket Guide, Third Edition, 2016, ISBN 1-4919-2757-7.
- Macintosh Terminal Pocket Guide, 2012, ISBN 1-4493-2834-2.
- Linux Pocket Guide, Second Edition, 2012, ISBN 1-4493-1669-7.
- MediaWiki, 2008, ISBN 978-0-5965-1979-7. (All about the software that powers Gentle Giant Home Page.)
- SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition, 2005, ISBN 0-596-00895-3.
- Linux Pocket Guide, 2004, ISBN 0-596-00628-4.
- Linux Security Cookbook, 2003, ISBN 0-596-00391-9.
- SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, 2001, ISBN 0-596-00011-1.
- NetResearch: Finding Information Online, 1997, ISBN 1-56592-245-X.
- Bandits on the Information Superhighway, 1996, ISBN 1-56592-156-9.
- Seven and a Half Lessons About the Brain, an Amazon.com "Best Book of 2020." It's a collection of short essays about that amazing gray blob between your ears.
- How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, a new theory of mind and brain that shows you have more control over your emotions than you might think.