The Original Studio Gentle Giant, Volume 2
About the Album
This is a vinyl, Italian compilation on the Fontana label (9286874), compiled by "Ronald Thorpe." It features tracks from the second three studio albums:
Side 2 of this album has numerous changes from the originals, making the title "The Original Studio" somewhat ironic. (Thanks to Yvon-Louis Trottier for this information.)
- The Runaway: For this track, five seconds have been cut at the beginning (the first "note" of shattering glass). The new track length is 7:10 instead of the original 7:15.
- In A Glass House has become a strange collage in three section:
- The track begins with the first four repeats of glass shattering in echo, taken from the last part of the end collage of the original album
- Following immediately is the last segment of the original track starting at 4:16, just before the lyric "Shadow fills the light"
- Just as the track is starting to fade out, the remaining sounds of echoing, shattering glass is inserted. (16 seconds of the music fade-out has been removed to insert the fading shattering noise.)
- The Power And The Glory: The track fades out about five seconds earlier than the single.
- Proclamation: With an original length of 6:47, this song is heavily edited by removing the first 4 minutes and 35 seconds of the piece, leaving only the remaining 2 minutes and 11 seconds of the track (starting with the clavinet notes after the repeated "Day by Day by Day...")
- Playing the Game: The track is truncated after 3 minutes and 2 seconds, just before the quiet segment beginning with the words "My thoughts never spoken." Then suddenly, the last segment of Valedictory appears, with a loud "HAIL" and the sound of high-speed rewinding. (Yvon-Louis Trottier writes, "I almost had a heart attack!")